Friday 15 May 2009

Mothers Day Card and Roaring 20's ATC

I received an email from my mum today saying she has finally received the Mothers Day card I sent her. Seems even express post takes 1.5 weeks to get from Australia to China. I think my mum is the only person I make cards for, except for the occasional one for my partner, Ben. Here is the card I made for her this year:


There's a pretty big shadow on the card because it's actually four layers of paper tole. We have a background layer, the sheet music layer, the piano layer and then the man layer. It's from a stamped image, and I coloured each layer with watercolour pencils. The image was then mounted on black paper, which was mounted on the cream card and then the card was edged in bronze ink. The rubon phrase was added as the final touch. Mum is very happy with the card.

This is the card I made her last year for her birthday. Very happy with the way it turned out. She almost threw it in the bin though, because she didn't realise it was in the package along with the gift.

I've been playing around with some ideas for my coming trade at Addicted to Scrap. The themes this month are Roaring 20's/Vintage AND autumn, so I want to get started early since 24 cards will take a while to make. My first attempt at the Roaring 20's theme is below.

I felt that it was lacking something though. After getting some suggestions from some of the lovely people over at ATCsforAll I made a second version. I think this one is more what I'm going for, though I really did like the background in the first one. Not sure if I could manage to do it again though, it was a bit of a fluke.

Which one do you like the most?

2 comments:

  1. I think I prefer the first one. The second is a bit too overdone and the red strikes me as somewhat TOO bright. Red and blue kinda clash, too - although so saying I mounted my bluish elephant on a red background and the KFC uniform is red and blue. I agree that the first one needs something in the top corner - just not sure if that's it.

    But what do I know? I can't collage!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: mothersday notes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!