Monday 4 February 2013

Who needs Santa?

I have blogged previously about my love of Santa photos but annoyance at the steep prices that are being charged these days. I was having dinner with my brother and sister when we saw that the Santa set-up was vacant for the night and not roped off. Luckily I had my camera handy, so I set up the auto-timer and snapped a couple of quick shots of us all. :)
 
 
This LO ended up NOTHING like I had imagined when I started it, about the only thing that stayed the same was the photos. This LO was primarily created as my DT piece for UnstampaBelles. The challenge for February is to use at least one doily. I have used three cute crochet dolies from The Chip Chop Shop. I didn't plan to use Scrapmatts chipboard either but they ended up being the perfect embellishments.  

 
I have also used the new sketch over at Sketches with a Twist. The twist this month is to use texture paste. I have used texture paste over a mask and then misted on top with two colours to create the background. My husband thought the end result was very pretty. I'm a bit disappointed I ended up covering up so much of it. I'm not really one for interpreting sketches so this stayed pretty close.
 
 
Lastly, I was inspired by the colour challenge over at ScrapFriends. I love seeing the LO's everyone comes up with and the different effects that result from people chosing different primary colours from the swatch.
 

8 comments:

  1. This is absolutely lovely, Lauren! [Even if it's slightly disconcerning to me (because I'm Canadian, no doubt) to see people sitting in Santa's chair wearing summer clothes! I don't know why I forgot there for a second you're Australian, but my first reaction to the photos was brrrrr. ;-) ] But, that didn't take away from this awesome layout. I love the background and the colours and those delicate doilies as well. (P.S. Totally agree with you 'bout the prices of Santa pictures - outrageous!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've done a pile of stuff with ONE lo here - well done....you use the SF colours sooo well:):) And isn't it funny how sometimes LOs have their OWN mind???!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren
    we upgraded to windows 8 and I lost all my old e-mail contacts so am contacting you thru here...maybe you need a contact me button LOL.. That heart may be the last I make I think as I have discovered an artist who makes them too in a similar style and she is well known....she has made them a lot longer then me so even though I have come up with the same idea separately ye old copyright issues looms again. I shall have to think of something else to steam punk!!
    hugs
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. MANy thanks for the love you left me on my blog ... It means a lot to me :) Have a great weekend sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing, the back ground work looks fabulous, and I like that you have used 2 photos.. love the chevrons down the side too.. and thanks for joining in at SWAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Love your title! Fabulous layout and use of both sketch and colour challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific story to go with this layout. Such terrific colours and I do love those little doilies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous fun page and these colours were just perfect. Great page.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!